12 iPhone Filmmaking Equipment For Aspiring Content Creators
All Digital School is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
With the continuous rise of social media platforms like TikTok, on-the-go professional content creation using an iPhone has become a necessity for aspiring influencers and content creators.
You may be one of those aspiring influencers, and we’re here to help you out by providing a list of the top 12 professional iPhone filmmaking equipment.
- 1 Best Professional iPhone Filmmaking Equipment
- 1.1 Movo HUGE iPhone Video Production Kit V8
- 1.2 Viewflex VF-H7 iPhone Video Rig
- 1.3 Switti RGB Video Light
- 1.4 Pixel K80c RGB Video Light
- 1.5 Saramonic SmartRig+DI Professional 2-Channel Audio Interface with XLR
- 1.6 AudioControl SA-4100i Microphone
- 1.7 Hohem iSteady Mobile+
- 1.8 Torjim 60-inch Camera Tripod
- 1.9 Beastgrip Pro
- 1.10 Moment Anamorphic Lens
- 1.11 BeastGrip Pro 1.33X Anamorphic Lens
- 1.12 Moment Wide Lens Attachment for iPhone
- 2 Final Thoughts
- 3 Related Questions
Best Professional iPhone Filmmaking Equipment
When talking about professional equipment, it’s almost synonymous with being expensive. And for good reasons, expensive professional equipment produces amazing videos.
But fear not, the items in the list of professional equipment below are affordable but still aids in producing great film results and serves as effective tools for those who are just starting out. The list consists of an assortment of essential tools like lighting, portable audio interface, microphones, gimbals, and lenses. Let’s get into it.
Movo HUGE iPhone Video Production Kit V8
- COMPLETE VIDEO BUNDLE: Smartphone compatible; perfect for Tik Tok, live-streaming, vlogging, interviews, performances and more! Compatible with iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6S, 7, 8, X, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro (Lightning dongle not included)
- SMARTPHONE RIG: Compatible with smartphones 2.2" to 3.6" wide including the iPhone X, iPhone 7 Plus, and Galaxy Note; Features a rubberized grip handle, wrist strap, bubble level, tripod thread, accessory shoe, and bonus shoe extender
- MULTIPLE MICROPHONES: VXR10 Shotgun Mic, VXR20 360° Stereo Mic, WMIC10 Wireless Mic and MA2010 Mini Microphones. A microphone for every situation and use case
- 30-LED VIDEO LIGHT: Brighten up your selfies in low light situations with the Ultra-Bright LED's with 3 Brightness Levels and Rechargeable Battery
Priced at $300, this video production kit from Movo is a complete video bundle ideal for both vlogging and live streaming. It consists of 11 pieces of equipment which we’ll talk about in detail.
At the heart of this bundle is the PR-1 Smartphone Rig. It looks like a selfie stick, but the phone is attached in the middle. At the bottom of the rig, you’ll find the rubberized grip handle, which can be replaced with a tripod. And on top of the rig, you’ll find the accessory shoe where you can attach mics and lights.
As for the microphones included in this kit, there are 4 different types that you can use for different applications. The WMIC50 Wireless Lav Mic System and MA2010 Mini Mic are ideal for capturing audio during vlogging and other outdoor adventures. For a more formal setting like documentaries and interviews, you can use the VXR10 Shotgun Mic and the VXR20 360 Mic.
Other accessories in the bundle include an LED light, a shoe extender that provides additional mounting space for other mics and accessories, a Bluetooth remote, a TRS-TRRS adapter cable, and a microfiber cleaning cloth.
Viewflex VF-H7 iPhone Video Rig
- 【One-touch control】Detachable bluetooth one-touch remote control for video shooting, the special design will enable you to totally enjoy your selfie and video shooting;
- 【Filmmaker Grip】A pioneering structure for doubled stability. Professional smartphone video photography handheld kit -- A fantastic tool for who need to take higher quality videos that close to professional level with phones;
- 【1/4 External Port&Hot Shoe Mount】Built in spirit level. Bottom & top 1/4 external port and hot shoe can mount for tripod & mounting video microphones and LED video lights, best smartphone video rig for phone videomakers. You also can mount the bottom 1/4 external port with slider or dollys;
- 【Flexible Combination】VF-H has a variety of assembly modes, you can complete flexibility to assemble reusable parts according to your filming demands, such as compact video microphones and LED video lights. Detachable handle grip, easy to install and carry;
Now if you are the type of content creator that has a dedicated videographer, then the Viewflex VF-H7, which is a flexible dual grip video rig, is for you.
This bundle includes an iPhone clamp, 2 electronic handles, 2 connecting rods, a Bluetooth remote control, an LED light, and a microphone.
The video rig is broken down into components because the VF-H7 was designed with flexibility in mind. For example, you can combine all the electronic handles and connecting rods together to form a single, dual video grip. But you can also use the electronic handles individually as a selfie stick.
To speed up your filmmaking process, the Viewflex VF-H7 features a one-touch control centered around its detachable Bluetooth remote control.
Inclusive accessories in the bundle are a mix of good and bad. The phone clamp is very durable and can support any type of iPhone as long as its width is between 2.16 inches to 3.93 inches. However, the LED light performs poorly. Although the included microphone performs decently, it still runs using a 3.5 mm auxiliary jack. So, you’ll need to use a dongle for iPhone that doesn’t have a headphone jack.
Switti RGB Video Light
- 【Professional LED Panel Lighting】Power 45W, 600 pieces high-quality and super bright bi-color lamp beads (white and yellow). The color temperature (3200k~5600k) and brightness(1%~100%) can be adjusted quickly by knobs on the back of the panel light or with remote control. Clear LCD screen can show the brightness, color temperature and power status of the light.
- 【Premium Material / Unique Design】The light be made of excellent quality aluminum alloy showing simple elegant appearance; Detachable barn door light barrier and U-mount bracket which could easily adjust the lighting angle and direction according to the shooting environment; The soft diffuser filters replace the huge softbox, it can soften the harsh light source, the light effect is better.
- 【DC Power / Battery Supply Options】 The professional video light can be powered by the DC adapter or NP-F battery (not included), it is convenient for indoor and outdoor shooting. This photography lights perfect for portrait photography, live show, YouTube video shooting, interviews, weddings etc.
- 【Remote Wireless Control & Multi Channel/Group Adjustment】FSK 2.4GHz wireless remote control, the light designed with 6 groups, 48 channels, all lights in the same channel and group can be controlled by each other, it can adjust brightness easily, the distance up to 50 meters, convenient, efficient and save your time while creative shooting.
Lighting plays an essential role in producing the intended outcome of filmmaking. But lighting doesn’t have to be costly to produce great results. That is why we recommend using the Switti RGB Video light. For only $250, you’ll get a complete lighting kit that can work for both indoor and outdoor applications.
Included in the lighting kit are 2 RGB lights, 2 adjustable tripods, 2 power adapters, 2 softboxes, 2 white filters, and 1 carrying bag.
The RGB lights included are all LED and can produce 7000 lux at a distance of 0.5 meters. It can operate from 2600K-10000K of color temperature and 0-360 color gamut. This will give you the flexibility to work with warm or cool colors to create various effects.
Aside from the flexibility with the light settings, the Switti RGB lights allow easy customization. Through the built-in control panels on its back, you can manually adjust the color temperature, brightness, and color gamut. This control system is also linked to each other using a 2.4GHz wireless connection, so you can use this to sync light settings or create successive lighting effects.
Pixel K80c RGB Video Light
- 【RGB VIDEO LIGHTING KIT】 NOTE: It supports wireless control by Pixel LC8 remote(need buy it separately), please check the description for more details. Consisted of 552pcs SMD LED beads (156pcs cool/156pcs warm/240pcs RGB beads) that can support 0-360° full color and fearless of color saturation adjustment; super wide color temperature range from 2600k-10000k; stepless dimming from 0%-100%; supply your creative shooting with rich and colorful light.
- 【SUPPORT 9 SPECIAL SCENES MODE】 45W high power light provide 9 special lighting scenes to enrich your shooting environment (including SOS, Police, Ambulance, Fireworks, Lightning 1, Lightning 2, TV Screen, RGB Circle 1, RGB Circle 2) This RGB video light can meet your different needs in different situation.
- 【LCD DISPLAY AND MEMORY FUNCTION】Built-in LCD screen design enables every adjustment clearly display on it, more convenient to use. Please wait for 2s before you turn the light off if you reset the settings, it will back to the same settings when you turn it on again, make your work easier.
- 【GROUP CONTROL AND HIGH QUALITY】 The lighting kits equipped with group control function, any light can be the master to control the slave light when they are at the same group and channel. The RGB panel light is made of high-quality aluminum alloy for better heat dissipation and durable enough for long time use.
Now, if you’re looking for only an indoor type of filmmaking lighting, then this Pixel K80c RGB Video Light might be a better choice. Priced at $380, the Pixel K80c RGB Video Light Kit includes 3 RGB lights, 3 white filters, 3 power adapters, a wireless remote, and a large carrying bag.
Each RGB light uses up to 45 watts of power that produces 5500 lux at a distance of 0.5 meters. It can also operate from 0 to 360 color gamut and can adjust its color temperature within the 2600K-10000K range.
The Pixel K80c is easily customizable using the built-in LCD controller at its back. From the panel, you can control the color gamut, color temperature, and brightness. There are also 9 lighting presets that you can use.
When it comes to the build, the Pixel K80c is very durable. From the tripod, supporting u- brackets, and frame, everything is metal and feels very sturdy. The product design also integrates barn doors so you can control the light better. As for the tripod included, it can reach up to 6 feet, giving you more headroom to adjust the lighting configuration.
Saramonic SmartRig+DI Professional 2-Channel Audio Interface with XLR
- The Saramonic SmartRig+ Di is a portable microphone/guitar interface for recording professional quality audio. Connects directly to iPhone through lightning adapter.
- Perfect for capturing sound on the spot, the 2 independent audio input channels each fitted with a dual XLR input (guitar/line). Provides 48V phantom power for microphones.
- Two XLR mic inputs, two 1/4" (6.35mm) guitar inputs, and two 1/8" (3.5mm) jack inputs for connecting any instrument or microphone. Outputs to a Lightning Adapter for use with iPhones.
- The two knobs make it easy to set precise levels. Toggle between Mono and Stereo output modes as necessary. Enjoy the capabilities of recording in true stereo and the versatility to record two separate tracks.
If you’re a filmmaker or content creator that usually creates outdoor music videos using your iPhone, then the Saramonic SmartRig+DI is for you. The Saramonic SmartRig+DI is a portable audio interface that has audio channels. Using this audio interface, you can connect all sorts of audio equipment such as microphones and instruments and send the signal into your iPhone.
This device has four inputs, 2 XLR-TRS combo inputs, and 2 auxiliary 3.5 mm inputs. Compared with using your phone or other soundcards, this a very big upgrade because it can power condenser microphones due to having a 48-volt phantom power supply.
For its output settings, you can select either mono or stereo options. Generally, mono settings work fine for interviews and vlogs. But for musical performances, stereo is the setting you’ll have to work with.
Although effective when recording, the Saramonic SmartRig+DI audio interface is not ideal for live streams because it doesn’t have built-in signal processing effects like compression and reverb.
AudioControl SA-4100i Microphone
- Omnidirectional microphone works with your iOS device to test and measure your system's performance
- Compatible with iOS devices 5.0 or later; Compatible models, including: iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, 5S ie 6, 6S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus, iPod Touch 5th generation, iPad mini, mini 2, mini 3, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad 4th generation
- Omni-directional polar pattern of the mic ensures that you'll capture all the dynamics of the room when you make your measurements
- Lightning connector; Wind screen included
Again this is for filmmakers who mostly create musical content. The AudioControl SA-4100i is an omnidirectional test and measurement microphone that helps analyze the acoustics of the surrounding environment, whether it’s a room or an open field.
After analyzing the sound of the environment, its generates data in the form of a spectral analysis that can be used to acoustically treat a room or use it to lessen background noise when filming.
The AudioControl SA-4100i is compatible with most iPhones, as well as the iPad Mini 2 and Air. It also has free software that you can download in the App Store.
Hohem iSteady Mobile+
- 🚀【All in 1 Gimble】 It easily fits action cameras GoPro Hero 8, almost all kinds of mobile phones in the market like iPhone 12 11 pro max and compact camera such as SONY RX100M7/Canon G7x/Panosonic DMC-LX10. Hohem iSteady Multi, the unprecedented all in 1 gimbal stabilizer, weighs only 1lbs but boasts maximum payload of 0.9lbs. With dedicated accessories, its installation is far more convenient than ever before. *Please contact us to confirm the compatibility if any doubt before purchase.
- 🚀【Real-tech Gear with 6 Working Modes】With these modes, Multi professional video stabilizers transforms plain & shaky videos into smooth, professional & cinematic ones. iSteady Multi camera & smartphone gimble stabilizer with 600°Panning/320° Rolling & Tilting and 6 working modes including all follow, all lock & panning mode can meet the demands of multi-scene application.
- 🚀【First Choice for Sony Compact Cameras】Are you a Sony-fanciers? Never miss Hohem iSteady Multi! Equipped with an exclusive cable ONLY for Sony compact cameras, storytellers like you can control zoom/focus & shutter/record via our camera gimbal stabilizer, creating film-making work with great flexibility. Sony RX100 M2-M7 HX50 WX500-800 and other popular models can be supported (DSC-RX100/N50 not included ).
- 🚀【Fantastic 600°3D Inception Mode】Be an amateur or an auteur? All you need is Hohem iSteady multi 3-axis gimbal stabilizer with ultimate 600°rotation of pan axis. It features newly developed inception mode that would rotate camera shot within 600°spontaneously when filming dutch tilt. Even an amateur can also produce gorgeous & quick transition like an auteur by iSteady Multi stabilizer!
For dedicated filmmakers that are focused on featuring landscapes and sceneries, having a handheld gimbal stabilizer is a necessity. It steadies taken videos and can even follow a programmed view path to create a dramatic effect.
Although it’s a very effective filmmaking tool, they are expensive. Some even cost $1000. That is why we recommend the Hohem iSteady 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer. It’s the best bang for the buck that you can find in the market. For only $90, you’ll have access to all the essential gimbal features.
The heart of the Hohem iSteady Mobile+ is its mobile application, the Hohem Gimbal. This application syncs with the gyro of the phone as well as the camera. The Hohem app then coordinates this data with the motors of the gimbal, ensuring a steady video capture.
Regarding the hardware, the gimbal is made from high-strength nylon and glass fiber. Inside it, there are three motors on the Hohem that are responsible for panning, rolling, and tilting of the attached iPhone.
Although there is a bit of a learning curve to effectively use this, it’s all worth it, especially for an aspiring content creator like you.
Torjim 60-inch Camera Tripod
- 【60" Adjustable Height】 The maximum height of the adjustable tripod is 60 inches. 4-section column legs with a quick release flip-lock knob allows it to be folded to a shorter height of 17.6 inches, which can meet various shooting needs.
- 【360° Rotation Function】 The convenient handle and built-in bubble level can realize the tripod translation and tilt movement, so as to meet any angle required by the user. It comes with a standard 1/4 "quick release plate, you can install and remove the camera in seconds. That supports most DSLR cameras. So you get perfect photos and stunning panoramas every time.
- 【Lightweight Solid & Sturdy Rubber Feet】Stable rubber feet provide superior stability in a variety of terrains, which plays an important part in your travel. This special triangular stabilizing structure can withstand 11 pounds and can support entry-level Nikon, DSLR, SLR, action camera, Canon cameras, etc.
- 【Extra Phone Holder & Wireless Control】 Tripod of the phone is equipped with a phone holder, which can be used for photo shootings, YouTube live streaming, and vlog shooting. With a Wireless remote control, Compatible with ios & Android Smartphones. You can take photos/videos from 30 feet / 10 meters away.
Having a tripod is another necessity for aspiring filmmakers and content creators. That is why we recommend this affordable yet trusty Torjim 60” tripod. For only $30, you’ll have a tripod made from aluminum alloy that can carry a 5 kg payload.
The Torjim tripod has a unique feature that is suitable for iPhone filmmakers, its wireless remote shutter connect. Upon connecting your iPhone to the tripod, you’ll be able to snap photos or capture videos using the included Bluetooth remote control in the bundle.
Although sturdy and durable, the tripod is lightweight. The whole tripod kit is only 1.5 kg in total, very handy when you’re a content creator that frequently travels.
- MODULAR design with removable lens mount assembly and handle, can be used as a simple tripod mount or full-featured camera rig
- UNIVERSAL, works with virtually any camera phone on the market, Easy access to phone buttons, USB and charging ports
- SIMPLE and CONVENIENT in use, works with or without protective phone case, Standard 37mm threaded lens/filter mount, compatible with wide variety of conversion lenses, filters, DOF adapters
- FREE standard cold shoe mount for attaching LED lights, microphones, and other accessories, Five standard ¼”-20 threaded mounts for attaching to supportive photo/video gear such as tripod, stabilizer, slider, etc. and other accessories
The Beastgrip Pro is a smartphone rig specifically for iPhones. It’s shaped like a smartphone case but with a handgrip at the bottom and a threaded mount for filters and lens on its back.
The movable mount for lens and filters on its back allows you to attach different types of lens such as anamorphic and wide-angle. There are also built-in threads on its frame to accommodate a tripod, camera, and microphones.
For the materials used, the main body frame is made from anodized aluminum, and the moving parts are made from glass-filled nylon. Overall, it looks durable and rugged. This iPhone rig is compatible with all iPhones due to its clamping design.
Moment Anamorphic Lens
- The Moment Blue Flare Anamorphic Lens works with iPhone and Android phone cameras, as well as iPads, Tablets & Laptop Webcams. Includes a lens, lens cap and a microfiber bag.
- Take next level photos and videos. Mount your lens with a Moment Case or M-series lens mount. Works with dual phone camera lenses, plus desqueeze your videos live with the Moment Pro Camera App. MOMENT PHONE CASE REQUIRED FOR USE.
- Perfect filmmaking equipment. Capture striking horizontal blue lens flares and a wide screen, Hollywood look with 1.33x and 2:40:1 aspect ratio on your smartphone camera.
- Moment makes the highest quality attachment lenses on the market. Rated the #1 mobile lenses 5 years straight by The Wirecutter, Tom's Guide, The Verge, and more.
For aspiring iPhone filmmakers who want to create drama, Moment’s Anamorphic Lens might be what you need. This lens is available in two types: the Blue Flare and Gold Flare.
What an anamorphic lens does is it forces every shot or video you take into a 16:9 wide aspect. Forcing this change in aspect ratio induces a wider field of view as well as inducing a very pronounced oval-shaped bokeh during shots. These effects create more drama and flare throughout a video which greatly improves the overall feel of every scene.
But not everyone likes the results of an anamorphic lens due to personal tastes, so it’s better to try it out first before buying. Also, this lens only works with Moment’s M-Series cases.
BeastGrip Pro 1.33X Anamorphic Lens
- Compatible with all smartphones when used with BEASTGRIP PRO or BEASTCAGE smartphone camera rigs.
- 1.33X Anamorphic provides with a horizontal optical squeeze to achieve 2.4:1 aspect ratio in video and 16:9 aspect ratio in photos when desqueezed in the post or by using third-party camera apps with anamorphic lens support
- Enhance your smartphone videos with horizontal lens flares, wider field of view with a more dramatic perspective, great sharpness and contrast across the whole frame
- Multicoated cylindrical glass elements and machined aluminum body with 37mm threaded lens mount and 58mm front filter mount
Like what we’ve previously talked about, an anamorphic lens creates a dramatic effect by forcing or squeezing a shot or video into a certain aspect ratio. The BeastGrip Pro 1.33X Anamorphic Lens forces videos and photos into a 2.4:1 aspect ratio that adds an aesthetic look and flare.
The captured shots of the BeastGrip Pro 1.33X Anamorphic Lens will look squeezed or distorted on your gallery. But don’t worry, it’s not faulty. You’ll need to post-process it using third-party software like Desqueeze, FiLMic Pro, and Filmakr.
Again, you might not like the result of an anamorphic lens so it’s better to try it out before buying. Also, this lens only works with Beastgrip Pro and Beastcage.
Moment Wide Lens Attachment for iPhone
- The Moment 18mm Wide Angle Lens works with iPhone and Android phone cameras, as well as iPads, Tablets & Laptop Webcams. Includes a lens, lens cap and a microfiber bag.
- Take next level photos and videos. Mount your lens with a Moment Case or M-series lens mount. Works with dual phone camera lenses, plus get advanced manual controls with the Moment Pro Camera App.
- Great for realtors, landscape photography, group photos, and more. The 18mm Wide Angle Lens captures smartphone photos and videos that are beautiful, crisp, and straight, with no fisheye distortion.
- Moment makes the highest quality attachment lenses on the market. Rated the #1 mobile lenses 5 years straight by The Wirecutter, Tom's Guide, The Verge, and more.
This product is another great lens attachment from Moment that enables you to capture clear and crisp ultra-wide shots from your iPhone. So, this is an ideal attachment for content creators and filmmakers that mostly capture sceneries or landscapes.
What makes Moment Wide Lens great is that it solves the most prevalent problems with every iPhone’s wide-angle lens, which is distortion and loss of details due to its small glass lens. But since it’s not limited by form factor, since it’s an iPhone case attachment, distortion and loss of details are significantly minimized.
Although great as an attachment, please take note that this lens is only compatible with Moment’s M-Series Cases.
As an aspiring and beginner iPhone filmmaker, you don’t immediately need expensive professional equipment to create quality content. What you need to start are creativity, passion, and the right set of tools. To know what iPhone filmmaking equipment you need, consider your niche and budget.
For example, if you create musical content then you might need an audio interface and a trusty microphone. When thinking of buying a microphone, think of whether you usually perform outdoors or indoors. If you’re usually creating content indoors, then a condenser microphone might suit your needs better. However for outdoor performances, then using a dynamic microphone is better.
After considering your niche and needs, then consider how much budget you have. You don’t have to immediately buy the most expensive equipment, especially since you’re still a beginner content creator.
Do YouTubers use iPhones to film their vlogs?
For established YouTubers, no, they use expensive professional filmmaking equipment that they’ve invested in as their following grows. But for aspiring content creators who are still starting out, most of them use their iPhones.
Which iPhone is best for filmmaking?
The iPhone 12 Pro Max has all the capabilities suited for filmmaking: a large storage space (512GB), excellent camera specifications, impressive post-processing software, and large battery life.