Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Experience in student teaching.

What were the most important lessons you learned from being a student-teacher? I'm curious about what you can gain if you became a student-teacher before becoming an actual educator. Does it make a difference? Did it make you better prepared than those who didn't have the experience of student teaching?

Tim from Cali

I don’t have that experience, but I do know many student teachers who have pursued teaching in their later years. It does help in many ways since these teachers are skilled and passionate about what they do. Teaching as a student will give you a first-hand experience, first of all. It also allows you to know yourself as a teacher, too.

An early teaching experience will let you see how you answer questions, assign tasks, lead the students, manage expectations, and know how the students’ minds work. So, being a student-teacher does help you gain experience as a teacher, but the key still lies in consistency and application. If you don’t know how to apply your learning to your teaching, then those experiences will be pointless! 🙂

Veteran Homeschooling and Parenting Expert of Vermont.