Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Homeschooling woes

To the veteran homeschoolers: how did you deal with the flaws that come with homeschooling? Or did you ever experience it at all? For example. Kids become bored. Routines go monotonous. Also, the lack of socialization. What did you do or learn from them?

Veteran homeschooler here. Creating schedules, lesson plans, tests, and quizzes… They weren’t hard to come by. But there were other challenges.

I had the added responsibility of making sure my kid was getting the socialization he needed. I also had to hear a lot of unfair criticism against my decision to homeschool my child. Also, the prejudice against homeschooled children was tough.

The thing that helped me the most was support networks. I could’ve never made it without those people—co-teachers who supported me, my parents, and my sister. They were all pivotal to my success.

That’s my advice—lean on your support network, if you can!

Veteran Homeschooling and Parenting Expert of Vermont.
Quote from Linda Henderson on April 6, 2020, 5:00 am

I also had to hear a lot of unfair criticism against my decision to homeschool my child. Also, the prejudice against homeschooled children was tough.

Thank you for sharing. These are actually true, not that I also believe it. But I also hear it from other people. Parents in communities and forums also have this misconception of "homeschooling" as a lesser version of education.